Heritage Attractions in North Wales
Heritage hunters and time travellers have arrived at the right place. You want castles? We’re home to a World Heritage Site at Conwy – the castle really is world-class. That’s not all. There’s also a mountain fortress built by the medieval Princes of Gwynedd and a rare Tudor manor. What about a bit of really ancient antiquity? Then head upwards to Celtic hillforts or below ground to a unique prehistoric copper mine.
The rich religious heritage wrapped up in our churches and chapels is easy to unfold by following some of our Sacred Trails – and there are fascinating historic town trails too, at places like Llandudno and Colwyn Bay.
Our museums and galleries encompass everything from cutting-edge contemporary art to memories of World War Two. And our gardens are simply gorgeous – Bodnant Garden in spring or summer is a floral masterpiece.
Heritage is a living thing in these parts. Our language, culture and history contribute to a strong ‘sense of place’ – it’s what makes us different from other destinations.
And we’re full of unique experiences. Here are some of the things you’ll find in this Heritage section:
- The favourite seaside resort of Alice in Wonderland (and Bill Bryson)
- Some of the best-preserved medieval town walls in Europe
- A magical, mystical moorland that inspires strong attachment
- A Stone Age axe ‘factory’
- Memories of Welsh royalty
- Britain’s smallest church
- An eco-friendly water-powered woollen mill